View Single Post
Old Sep 19, 17, 1:43 pm
rickg523

Originally Posted by KLouis View Post
1) Santorini will be relatively crowded, the rest will be relatively empty,
2) Most "things" open in all places.
3) In a sense disappointing, but there will be lots and lots of improvements. I'll list only one here: most toilets will be clean, functioning and they'll have really soft paper in contrast to what you certainly remember. Still, lots of cars everywhere, tourism has made everything less personal, but be glad that in May people have not yet had enough of the tourist season.
4) I agree 100% with your explanations!

In spite of the above, you'll love it. Think of Greece as Claudia Cardinale. Think of her in 1978 and today. Still a very good-looking woman, but not in the same sense as 40 years ago...

PS I forgot: Greece has the highest per capita consumption of scotch, really!
Thanks!
Yes, I expected Santorini to be crowded. I've just been seeing articles about the little island being overcrowded. Like recent reports from Venice and Barcelona. As an aside, I was in Venice last June and it was really obvious when the mega cruise ships came in. But as always, before 10 am and after around 6 pm, the city reverted to a more normal, though popular, place. And of course, things were actually wonderful just a few hundred meters away from San Marco/Rialto. (If this wasn't my wife's first trip to Greece, we would have skipped Santorini, regardless of it's natural beauty. No less choosing to stay right on the caldera in Fira). I am glad to hear that I guessed correctly about May in general being less crowded, while many things will still be open.
And of course, I've been back to many of the places on Europe that I visited in the 70's, so I expect changes. On that first trip, I rushed through France to get to affordable Italy. As anyone who's been to both recently knows, just the opposite is the case now.
It's my opinion actually that the Euro has been responsible for more fundamental societal change than anything else, and much to Greece's disadvantage. I never believed that the Greek worker in the Greek economy could compete for goods and services with the German worker in the German economy. How could they afford to?And yet, a box of breakfast cereal or bag of pasta will be priced based on the overall European economy. It's just a lot harder to come up with 6 euros in Greece than in Germany.
And because the economic dislocation has been so severe in Greece, I asked that question about happiness.
OTOH, during the 70's, some of the time I spent in Greece was while the nation was under the Colonel's Junta. I saw pitched battles in Syntagma between police and students/ workers. Athens was not a happy place. But the islands were almost unaffected. I say "almost" because, even in Kokkari, I was warned about "collaborators" in the village and to be careful not to say anything political around them, or risk expulsion or worse. The attitude of the Greeks toward the dictators is a major reason I considered them admirably different than Spaniards, who, after generations of the fascist bootheel, were pretty downtrodden.
I look forward to improvements to plumbing and electrical in Greece. I expect because they are recent, they'll be among the best in Europe. (In 1974, Britain had indoor plumbing and France was still using squatters. In 1992, France had upgraded and suddenly Britain seemed antiquated by comparison ).
Thanks again for the reply. I am absolutely thrilled to be going back to Greece and expect to fall in love with the place all over again. (Back in the day, I sold my return ticket to the US to a stranger at the American Express for cash. Can't do that anymore, but I did make sure my ticket is changeable )