FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is United's policy on gate-checked strollers consistent with DOT policy?
Old Sep 19, 2017, 8:40 am
mherdeg

Programs: UA 1K
Is United's policy on gate-checked strollers consistent with DOT policy?

I recently gate-checked a stroller on a UA domestic flight.

I learned after the flight that UA considers gate-checked bags to be "Checked Baggage" and says in the contract of carriage that "UA is not liable for damage to strollers when carried as Checked Baggage", in other words if you choose to buy a plane ticket and gate-check a stroller, you agree that UA can destroy your stroller if they like.

Is this policy consistent with 14 CFR 254.4? I just learned that the DOT issued guidance in fall 2015 saying "look guys, I know that you say you don't cover damage to zippers, handles, or wheels, but you can't do that under federal rules" (https://www.transportation.gov/airco...uidance-112415 , https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/254.4 ).

Some more on this one specific super boring stroller damage:

On arrival after getting back my gate-checked stroller, I noticed that there were some scuffs on the outside of the stroller, as though it had been dragged on the ground. I had some free time and was curious about this so I
asked UA gate agent and customer service whether this was normal and they told me to talk to the baggage office. I asked the baggage office whether this was normal damage and they said "Oh, we don't cover strollers" and pointed to a sign on the wall. Which was the sign saying that they didn't cover electronic devices. I asked, in confusion, hmm, is a stroller an electronic device?

No, they said. Wait just a minute. They came back a few minutes later with a highlighter and two copies of the contract of carriage, one with some sections highlighted. Using that one as a template, they painstakingly highlighted the CoC copy to highlight this text:

Strollers – United accepts one collapsible stroller in addition to a Passenger’s baggage allowance. One non-collapsible stroller may be carried as Checked Baggage in lieu of one piece of Baggage (62 inches Maximum Outside Linear Dimensions). This item will be included in determining the Baggage Allowance, and when in excess, overweight or oversize, such item will be subject to the Excess Baggage Charge. Except for certain International Carriage subject to the terms of the Montreal Convention, UA is not liable for damage to strollers when carried as Checked Baggage. Excess valuation may not be purchased for strollers.
I said, huh, that's confusing. Are you saying that if I gate-check a stroller, that counts as Checked Baggage and I should plan for you to destroy it?

Yes, they said, that's about right. Normally when I travel with my own kids, they said, I use a low-cost umbrella stroller.

Well, ok, I said, fair enough. But this wasn't actually my question -- I was just wondering if this kind of damage is normal. This is the 6th sector I have flown with this stroller gate-checked and the first time I have seen this kind of scuffing. Does that happen a lot?

They kind of looked at me. Well, of course it could happen. We break stuff. Duh.

I'm wondering now in retrospect whether UA's "hey we don't cover that" is allowed under federal rules.