FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}
Old Sep 18, 2017, 4:23 pm
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zartemis
It left from an international gate and when we checked in at the gate, we were told we could not bring a full-size carry-on.

I also pointed out the boarding pass had us in priority group 2, not 5, which surprised her, but she still refused.

Will United really refund the charges if we get charged? Where is such a request submitted if it happens?
Welcome to FT!

First of all, United would have had to refund the charges. You would have followed up with the refund department. Incidentally, if this had happened to me, I would also have contact customer service and complained; I would expect a mistaken charge to be worthy of a travel voucher for the inconvenience.

Why did you check in at the gate? What did you say there? Were you getting a seat assignment?

Did your boarding pass say "Basic Economy"? "BE - No Carry On"? How did the agents know you were in Basic Economy in the first place?

Typically, the way I hear this handled at the gate is "Customers in Group 5 are not allowed a carry-on."