FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DUB-> IPC Biz Flight Help
View Single Post
Old Sep 17, 2017, 1:23 pm
sooge_sj

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Wow, that is a lot of flying, but I guess you don’t have much of a choice when going from Dublin.

I travelled to Chile, including Rapa Nui, in September 2016 and had a really wonderful time. Visiting Rapa Nui was definitely a highlight, but I also really enjoyed visiting San Pedro de Atacama. The Atacama desert was really beautiful. Since you are spending so much money and going all the way, I would seriously suggest that you see a little bit more of Chile. Also, right now you are spending 5 nights in Hanga Roa, which I think is a little too long. Rapa Nui is a small place and it is I am not sure there is enough things to do for that long.

Another big thing to remember is that flight to and from SCL to IPC and easily be delayed due to weather or mechanical issues and there is only 1 LATAM flight a day. My flight from IPC to SCL was delayed by about 4 hours because of engine issues. I was really surprised that we even departed that day cause IPC is a “one-horse” airport. But I guess LATAM had the necessary air plane spare parts and know-how at IPC to fix the issue. But it was weird watching them work on the jet engine from a distance and hoped that we got back to the mainland without an issue . Anyways, we did get back to SCL, but several people who had both domestic and international connections, missed their flights. I was lucky that I had an overnight in SCL before flying to Calama in the north.

My advice is that you book DUB to SCL return, and then a separate SCL to IPC return with a night or two in SCL. I see that there are DUB-CDG-SCL flights on Air France which would mean only 1 connection and it seem much cheaper. Around $2800 for a business class ticket:

https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...F1716;sc=b;s=1

Last edited by sooge_sj; Sep 17, 2017 at 4:10 pm