Old Sep 17, 17, 9:16 am
Often1
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Scottrick View Post
Most of the language I've read regarding discount codes (especially the annual companion fare discount code) state that they are not returned in the event of cancellation. Once you use it, it's used for good.

There is one exception: You can change a ticket that was booked with a discount code, and assuming the new flight fits the same eligibility criteria you can apply the same discount. This is my recommendation.

If you are an MVP Gold member, this is pretty painless since there are no change fees. I've changed my trip to something far in the future I don't even plan to use, just as a placeholder so I can preserve the discount and change it again when I decide what I will really use it for.

If you are not a MVP Gold member, you can still avoid the change fee as long as you change it 60+ days before departure.
OP's question is about the 24-hour cancellation required by US law. You are simply wrong.

In the event that you cancel within 24 hours and comply with the DOT rule, AS must refund the ticket in full to the original forms of payment. Thus, if you pay with a CC and discount code, AS must issue a credit to the CC and reissue or reinstate the discount code.

There is no requirement that AS make this available online and there is good reason for the reissuance of any "funny money" such as discount codes to be handled manually. But, there is absolutely no doubt as to what you are entitled to if you follow the rule.