FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Should I let my 15 year-old son use Uber X?
Old Sep 14, 2017, 3:11 pm
Carpedictum

Keep your day job

Originally Posted by john2g1
Yeah Okay... For anyone not following along I think @Carpedictum saying IAAL is supposed to be I am a Lawyer...

Sure... IAADFU I am a driver for Uber

Here's the break down: Almost every insurance carrier considers ride sharing commercial use of your car. Why does that matter? If anything happens the insurer can and will deny the claim.

Please chime in other lawyers and insurance industry types.

You Mr. Lawyer can sue all you want but you will be suing the Uber driver which is why I say good luck. Not because you will be unsuccessful I mean good luck collecting the thousands-millions of dollars you would otherwise be entitled too after trial.

Here's the break down part two: Average Joes and Jills can drive for Uber because they are insured for up to $1,000,000 (unless your state requires more) by James River. James River can and has denied any claim where either city/state/federal laws were ignored or when Uber Terms of Service are broken. Blah blah blah good luck getting big money out of someone driving on UberX.

I can not stress this enough you are risking medical coverage and you are screwing over some driver out there trying to make an honest living.

To the original poster @miamiflyer8 ^^ Good Job ^^ Yes UberBLACK/SUV/Taxi is expensive but they come with their own commercial insurance etc.

A BMW dealership mechanic is more expensive than a Jiffy Lube technician by more than $100 per hour. However, one guy is a trained and licensed professional. The other only had to sit through a class (yes singular) and pass a test at the end.

Lastly @Carpedictum I know you know that many companies turn a blind eye to misuse that makes them money. Do you think CoolWhip takes measures to ensure people can not get high off of their aerosol? NO!!! They slap a "against federal law to misuse" sticker on it and rake in the dough.

Just because Uber doesn't block your child from setting up an account doesn't mean that it will have your back (or her driver's back) if something happens. Instead grab the paralegal you hate the most and order them to comb through the Term of Service or EULA. **Spoiler alert** I'm right.
Ms. Lawyer

And nice try, but you know who definitely can't waive statutory rights in a contract/TOS?
A child.

But yes, please, any more lawyers want to draft a more fully fleshed out, 1L "Intro to legal writing" memorandum for free, chime on in.