FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA "Special Fare" (AA Vacations, TYP, MR, etc.) Questions, EQD, Issues (merged)
Old Sep 13, 2017, 3:03 pm
SpammersAreScum

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
It's most likely going to give you a "special fare" (see the Wikipost at the top of the page) rendering a percentage of the flown miles.
Originally Posted by ashill
It sounds to me like you're confusing the percentage of miles flown with a percentage of dollars spent. If you earn EQDs based on actual dollars spent on airfare, a dollar is an EQD is a dollar (as long as its fare or carrier-imposed fees, not taxes or government-imposed fees). If you're on a special/consolidator fare (where AA doesnt actually know how much you paid), it's a percentage of miles flown, not of dollars spent. Sometimes that percentage of miles flown works out to be more than the dollars spent.
I am actually surprised that the wiki is so 100% sure that pay-with-points will definitely result in distance-based. DPs through spring indicated it wasn't always distance. A few DPs in Sep have all been distance. Is the conclusion based on just those? Plus maybe the statement (of dubious worth) I relayed from an AAgent? Or was there something more substantive I missed?