FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Trip to Sri Lanka (and Singapore & Hong Kong)
Old Sep 12, 2017, 3:05 pm
kevincrumbs

Programs: Free agent!
I continued my day in Singapore by heading down to Marina Bay for some photographs but not before passing through The Shoppes at Marina Bay Sands to enjoy their air conditioning for a few moments. After snapping some skyline photos, I walked to Promenade MRT station and headed for Little India.

The one bit of the actual hotel portion of Marina Bay Sands that I saw

It seemed like all the stuff in here was high end, so I didn't have any actual interest in browsing the shop(pe)s

Singapore's skyline with the ArtScience Museum on the left and the Float@Marina Bay on the right

On the Helix Bridge

Promenade MRT

While in Little India I walked around the neighbourhood with the goal of finding something to eat. I settled for a very busy branch of the local chainlet Sakunthala's and whatever I ordered was quite good. Upon walking in, I was sweating so much that one of the employees handed me a ton of napkins so that I could wipe off my head. In addition, I didn't find the silverware until about halfway through the meal, so I ate the meal with my hands (like everyone else in there was doing). Of course, while walking back to Little India MRT station post-lunch, I stumbled upon the hawker centre in Tekka Centre. I was too full to eat anything else so it was back to New Majestic Hotel to pick up my bag and then head to Changi via the MRT.

Colourful building in Little India

Mural

Serangoon Road

Campbell Lane, which seemed very touristy. The Indian Heritage Centre is the building on the right.

Little India MRT station

I don't have any photographs from my journey from New Majestic Hotel (closest MRT: Outram Park) but it was fairly interesting. Prior to going into the paid area of the station, I was summoned over for a security check of my large duffel bag. Having obviously passed said check, I faced a very long walk to the East West Line platforms where I would have an almost direct ride to Changi. At this point, I was insanely tired from a combination of lack of sleep, the heat/humidity and all the stuff I'd been doing all day, which was why I was so excited to be on an air conditioning-less platform waiting for the MRT. Since Changi is only linked to the rest of the MRT system via a spur line, I had to disembark at Tanah Merah (open air platform) to await the MRT to Changi. All in all not the most pleasant urban rail journey as the MRT was also packed most of the way headed eastbound on the East West Line but it got me there for minimal cost.

I proceeded to the Business Class check-in desks at Terminal 2 and had my bag checked through to CMB. Exit immigration was a breeze and having explored Changi about two years ago combined with my aforementioned tiredness, I promptly headed to one of the SilverKris Lounges and stayed there for a few hours. I was so tired that I didn't take any photographs and may have even dozed off at one point.

Split-flap departures board

Changi Terminal 2 airside departures level

23 May 2016
Singapore Airlines 468
Singapore Changi (SIN)
22:40
Colombo Bandaranaike International (Katunayake) (CMB) 23:54
3h 44m
Airbus A330-300
9V-SSF

You know when you have those flights where you are so tired that you fall asleep before take off and wake some time in the sky? This flight was one of those. I slept very, very soundly and my only memory was being asked by the FA if I still wanted my meal (a Book the Cook Peranakan dish) and I turned it down. I still feel bad about it at this point! I woke up shortly before arrival and used the restroom and then we landed at CMB.

Preparing for arrival. The seats were SQ's regional Business Class seats, meaning a slanted lie flat, but I still slept very, very well.

I had procured a visa beforehand and came armed with all sorts of paperwork but of course, the immigration officer didn't even look at any of it. I was stamped into the country, picked up my bad and then found a place to exchange some US Dollars into Sri Lankan Rupees. I had tried to do so while out of the country but it doesn't look like LKR are available outside of Sri Lanka.

The only boneheaded thing I did was not get a taxi while still in the airport terminal and having walked out, was offered a ride by multiple people who did not look like they were part of any licensed company. I picked one guy at random and when we got to the car, his friend got in, which made me nervous. We sped down the new expressway towards Colombo and it was all very quiet out due to the hour. Nothing strange or weird happened on the ride but I will confess that I rode with a sense of paranoia the whole time, which wasn't really a great way to get started in a new country. After about an hour, we arrived at the hotel I had booked for Colombo, the Cinnamon Lakeside.