FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ritz Carlton Kyoto, Japan [Master Thread]
Old Sep 12, 2017, 7:24 am
Aventine
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jermyn
Thanks for looking into this for me Aventine, that's very kind of you.
I'm just as surprised as you are although I imagine the head concierge will be a member of some equivalent Japanese body.

I got a reply back stating:
In regards to visiting the Saihoji-temple (Kokedera), it is actually not a reservation but a visitation permission granted by the temple.
My mistake then, I should evidently have asked whether there were any temples that required a reservation OR visitation permission...

Apparently my choice of restaurant is also questionable:

Just for your information, horumonyaki restaurants are very casual and it is not a very elegant and glamorous experience.
I can't help but think there is a bit of a language barrier here as I've never actually had openly rude or confrontational service in Japan before.

Still, I've revised my expectations of this hotel down slightly after this interaction.
Permission by a slip is a reservation by any other name.

I'd feel insulted if they told me the horumon grilled intestines restaurant isn't elegant or glamorous. It's like not like they have to go eat there. How dare they say that to a guest making a request? I think they think they're saving you from a "disgusting" experience that you might later blame on them but it sounds like you know what you want and their personal distain shouldn't play a part in fulfilling your wishes.

When you speak to the GM or senior management, tell them that a stranger from a famous frequent flyer forum did something for you that their concierge thought was unelegant, unrefined and refused to do. Then you had a great meal at said restaurant.

ホルモン千葉 - Horumon Chiba
075-352-6162

It's cash only but cheap and you'll get your fill of horumon. I always do. An easy 10-15 min walk down the river on the same side as the hotel.

recommended dishes:
yakisoba
5 kinds horumon mixed platter