FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ritz Carlton Kyoto, Japan [Master Thread]
Old Sep 12, 2017, 6:58 am
Jermyn

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
Originally Posted by Aventine
Sounds like you got an inexperienced concierge who definitely needs to revise their service standards and search abilities. Guests shouldn't have to do their legwork for them.

I'm also shocked that their chief concierge is not a member of les clefs d'or either (tried to find you someone senior and more competent). Surprising for one of the lead Kyoto hotels not to have a member of that club.
Thanks for looking into this for me Aventine, that's very kind of you.
I'm just as surprised as you are although I imagine the head concierge will be a member of some equivalent Japanese body.

I got a reply back stating:
In regards to visiting the Saihoji-temple (Kokedera), it is actually not a reservation but a visitation permission granted by the temple.
My mistake then, I should evidently have asked whether there were any temples that required a reservation OR visitation permission...

Apparently my choice of restaurant is also questionable:

Just for your information, horumonyaki restaurants are very casual and it is not a very elegant and glamorous experience.
I can't help but think there is a bit of a language barrier here as I've never actually had openly rude or confrontational service in Japan before.

Still, I've revised my expectations of this hotel down slightly after this interaction.