FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA: EWR-MNL RT $510 same day 2.3 cpm 21,546 mi
Old Sep 11, 2017, 11:23 am
mpiotrow

Programs: UA 1K 0.7MM (trying to get to 1MM!)
Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr
I made the mistake of following the herd and got to the immigration area and knew that I could not go thru that mess and make it back in time. There is a transit desk at the hallway intersection (opposite the immigration lines), but they did not understand what I was trying to do and told me to sit down and wait for a gate agent. After 10 minutes of waiting, I knew that this was not going to work and started walking the "wrong way" down the wide hallway I had just come down, back towards the UA gate. That is when a security guard flagged me down (since I was going the "wrong way" and asked me what I was doing. I told them I needed to get back to the UA gate I came from & she directed me to a very small security check point I had walked past with an escalator going up a level (it is right behind the transit desk). Turns out this is for the "transiting" passengers that are going to a different gate in Terminal 1. You go up the escalator and walk back down the same hallway you came from the gate (just up level you did not know was there). You then go down a set of escalators at the end, and you are back in the gate areas (which you could see thru the glass when you deplaned). You will have your BP checked one more time and go thru another security screening and you are set.
Transiting GUM-MNL-GUM is much easier, I believe...I had a ~1 hr connection time at MNL just a few months ago when I flew GUM-MNL-GUM. I literally walked off the plane, up the ramp, saw someone holding a sign with my name on it at the top of the ramp (where the glass walls are to separate the arriving passengers from the departing passengers) who opened a glass door for me, I went through it, through the special US security (where they put my carry on through the x-rayed machine, I walked through a metal detector, and they scanned my passport), and when I was done with that, I was already in the boarding gate area for the connecting flight (since they use the same plane for MNL-GUM as GUM-MNL). I decided to leave the gate in order to visit the lounge to have a shower, so I then had to go through the security line (in order to do the x-ray and metal detector) again on my way back into the boarding gate area. Definitely a very painless process. It would be much different with checked baggage, I imagine...