FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Mile and Point conferences--which is best and why?
Old Sep 10, 2017, 12:14 pm
sbm12
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by kokonutz
I have millions of miles too.
That's probably a mistake you made.

If the points really are "free" as so many (erroneously) claim then just spend them, even if cash seats are cheap. After all, free is better than cheap, right?
Originally Posted by HMPS
I don't remember them benefiting from me save I recommend their blog to newbies.
You do realize that's the most significant benefit possible, right? At least financially.

They're not stupid. Sponsoring the event was an investment, not an altruistic gesture. And I'm quite certain it paid off very well for them.

Most such conferences are financially motivated. Of course they are. Maybe the Chicago Seminars are an exception, though I'm not 100% convinced of such. Doesn't mean that the event itself turns a profit nor that all the participants are paid. But if you think that everyone speaking at the event is doing so just because they love others and want to share how brilliant they are rather than having some economic motivation I believe you're mistaken. Maybe a few still, but far from all. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, despite the many rants in this forum.

Last edited by sbm12; Sep 10, 2017 at 12:20 pm