FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Credit Card Strategies to Pay for Meals on Vacation
Old Sep 10, 2017, 11:07 am
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JerryFF
We have pretty much figured out how to use credit cards to pay for flights and hotels when on vacation. However, meals are another story. About the only thing I can come up with is to get one of those cash back cards, keep an account of the cash rewards, and mentally convince myself that I actually ony used the cash back from the card to pay for those expensive vacation dinners. Any other ideas?
Use the points earned on meals to pay more hotel rooms?

Chase hotel cards often give double points for restaurants and have 0% forex.

Citi TYP Premier gives 2x points on restaurants (and 3x on gas, hotels, parking, and some other "travel") and has 0% forex.

And within the US, I look for Rewards Network restaurants, where I earn 5 UA/AS/DL/AA miles per $ spent on top of that.

And I don't find restaurants to be that much more expensive most places compared to home. So unless you never eat out at home (for comparison), I don't understand what you mean be expensive travel dining.

Originally Posted by JerryFF
Are there cash back cards that offer substantial sign up bonuses similar to the airline/hotel affinity cards?
There are no cash back bonuses quite as big as airline/hotel bonuses, because giving away cash back bonuses is expensive (you have to give away hard money), while giving away airline miles or hotel points is cheap because it's essentially "excess capacity" inventory they're giving away. (You can't get cheap award seats on flights which are almost overbooked, and you can't get hotel awards in most programs for the last hotel room available. But cash is always the same cost, there's no "excess capacity" in cash!)

Last edited by sdsearch; Sep 10, 2017 at 11:13 am