FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Calgary couple frustrated by airline response after getting caught in hurricane
Old Sep 10, 2017, 9:44 am
Transpacificflyer

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by Symmetre
It's hard to find sympathy for anyone stupid enough to willingly fly into the path of a major hurricane.
Yes, you have a valid point that people should be prudent, and I admit to my own initial lack of sympathy. However, I suggest that you consider this from another perspective, that of the customer.

-The airlines and their captive vacation package agents sell these trips without any advisories and will do so right up until the last possible moment.

Let's use an illustration; As you know, St. Marten has been leveled. The Dutch and French authorities are saying it will take 3-6 months to rebuild critical basic infrastructure. Why then is Air Canada vacations selling vacation packages on the island for early December? Do you believe it appropriate to offer hotel rooms, when the local authorities have said that their first assessment is 3-6 months of recovery for basic essential infrastructure? According to the news, some of the hotels featured have suffered structural damage. Do you honestly believe that the hotels will be fit for customers in 3 months? And even then, what kind of environment will greet visitors? There is no warning posted at the Air Canada vacations site. Wouldn't the responsible action be pulling the offers until an assessment was done and the seller knew for sure that the customers would be taken care of and not wading in sewage or staying at a damaged resort?

- The package trips to the Caribbean are subject to some draconian conditions. If a customer realizes that it is best not to travel, it is quite difficult to get a refund or a credit from the vacation package seller. Typically, it has to be the airline or hotel consolidator who cancels or postpones the travel for the customer to obtain a refund or credit. The airline and vacation package seller can literally wait until the government recommends or then orders no travel.

- Consider who purchases these types of packages: They are for the most part, people of limited travel experience, education and wealth. The trip represents a big expenditure for them and they can't afford to lose their money.

- Your criticism would be reasonable if directed at me or others on FT because we are more sophisticated. However, lambasting a person like this, is a bit harsh. The airlines and vacation package sellers target this type of demographic and advertise their goods and services accordingly.