FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Finding two seats in business using avios
Old Sep 9, 2017, 10:05 pm
FlightDetective

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by preacherirl
There is a roundabout way of doing it on some routes. For example to Dulles. Go to United, log on (create an account if you don't have one). Book flights, business class, non-stop, award travel, two seats and check availability using the monthly planner (look for dates with four dots). Look for non-stop flights only, and those operated by Aer Lingus or ASL airlines (also Aer Lingus in practice).

The availability that shows there is actually the Aer Lingus availability, you can then go back to avios.com then and book the flights that show on the United website. I have checked and this definitely works (e.g. business class out two seats out on March 9th, back March 17th, total 200,000 avios plus €482 taxes).

I am not sure what routes this works on. Basically you are looking for a route that United and Aer Lingus codeshare on, then this works.
You don't need to create an account at all. Simply go to the United web site and search DUB to JFK and the dates and tick the "Search for award travel" box.

The flights that show up as operated by Aer Lingus are the ones you can also book with Avios (through BA, or through Avios, or whatever way...)

Originally Posted by alserire
Something very shady going on with Avios taxes. Looked at DUB-LGW-DUB next March. EI fare €27.98 plus €98 taxes for a total of €125.98.

Avios looking for 9000 Avios plus €126 in taxes and charges.

Now that, ladies and gentlemen, is fraud.
Interesting. I would never use Avios for a short haul Economy redemption for this very reason - you don't save much if anything.