FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why can't DL fly from SFO Bay Area to ORD?
Old Sep 7, 2017, 10:35 pm
nystateofmind

Originally Posted by FullFare
Thanks to all for the thoughts. Frankly, if you think you're any good, and competitive, you look for an opportunity to prove it. Look at what DL has done with the SFO-JFK route. It used to be dominated by AA, with UA nearly equal.
Now, UA has abandoned the route and AA is almost a bit player (Virgin helped on that). DL has 8 big 757's with wonderful coffin Delta 1 seats in Business First, flying SFO-JFK daily. My wife and I think they are terrific. DL was nowhere like this 5 - 10 years ago. And I don't believe it's because DL became so dominant at JFK (but it could have).

I would bet the north 40 that if DL could get viable slots at ORD, they would think about it. Hub or not, the SFO bay area is the number 4 market in the country, if you concede that NY, LA, and Chicago are ahead. That's a lot of flying pax. Those of us in the Bay Area have been desperate for years to see somebody give comeuppance and competition to UA, who has gotten away with taking us for granted and damn near abuses us with the way they have handled IRROPS and such.

DL proved they could smoke the other guys on SFO-JFK. Why not shake 'em all up and do it on a route between two major markets (SFO-ORD? Hubs are a big deal, but are they truly everything? I hope not. WN's business model did well with direct point service. You basically just needed a chance to prove to the world you could do a good job. I believe there are a lot of DL loyal flyers in the SF Bay Area who would support flying to ORD, and do it with their dollars.

Sure, DL's nearby hubs a MSP and DTW are way too close, and they have superb international feeding connections. I'm wondering if the carrier can break out of the mind-set that everything has to be building bulk through hub connections. This is a viable opportunity, IMHO, and I hope the poster who said that it is slots that are holding everything up is not the case. I would love to see SFO-ORD on DL.

Heck, if we all take a step back and look at LAX----UA, AA, and DL are all telling the world that LAX is their focus city or hub. Can one airport be a "hub" for so many carriers? I would like to see an ambitious carrier, like DL, bet big on itself and provide its good service between major markets. I'd bet they'd kick A$$.
It wasn't Delta being stellar that forced UA off the SFO-JFK route. The merger with Continental plus the growth of Dulles as a hub to Europe did that. In the end LAX and SFO were the only destinations UA served from JFK. WN operating Bay Area-MDW is also a factor that isn't in play on the JFK route. Not to mention there is no XXX-Bay Area-ORD or Bay Area-ORD-YYY route that isn't served already involving an established hub. There are a lot of people in the market, but FF are not going to flock to Delta because the lack of destinations on either end means a double connection. That leaves them competing with Virgin and Southwest for those who prioritize price and that isn't profitable.