FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Conrad Hong Kong {HKG}
View Single Post
Old Sep 7, 2017, 1:17 pm
aks120
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

Apologies for the delay in posting.

I had booked a Harbour view room at the Conrad for 2 nights 24-26th november after spending 4 nights at the JW Marriott executive level.

I arrived around 2pm and it took a minute at check in and was told I had been upgraded to the executive floor ( 5805)

I went up to my room and the first thought upon entering was WOW! - A full on harbour view on a beautiful afternoon with the bed at the side of the room so you could look out over the harbour from your bed. The suitcase was brought up a few minutes later and I went up to the executive lounge on floor 59 for afternoon coffee and scones ( very good) and upon returning to my room ,a pot of tea had been delivered.

A comparison with the JW Marriott Executive level follows;

Room: Adv Conrad : the room felt a lot larger at the Conrad compared to the JW.
Electronic Controls: Adv JW. The Marriott had buttons by the bedside to close/open the curtains and drapes compared to manually operated curtains at the Conrad
Bathroom: Adv Conrad: The conrad bathroom was larger with both the bath and the separate shower larger than the JW but the JW did have bathrobes
In room coffee: Adv conrad: The conrad had a nespresso machine whilst the JW had a filter coffee machine and a kettle but the JW put the milk in the minibar.
Fluffy bathrobes: Adv Conrad: The conrad had very nice fluffy bathrobes whereas the JW had a more standard bathrobe.
View from the room: Not really comparable as the JW was a peak view and the Conrad was harbour but I found the windows at the Conrad were better for photo taking ( less reflections)
Lounge Service: Tie: The Conrad lounge staff did offer to bring drinks to the table when you entered with the JW marriott being more self service but all the staff were great.
View from the lounge: Adv Conrad: A full harbour view from the lounge at the conrad compared to some restricted views from JW.
Afternoon tea: Adv Conrad: The scones ( help yourself from the oven) , clotted cream and jam beat the Marriott ( no scones)
Soft Drinks: The Conrad had coke products ( but ran out of diet coke one afternoon) and the JW had Pepsi ( if this is important )
Breakfast and Evening snacks: Adv JW ( by some distance). IMHO This is where the conrad falls down slightly whilst breakfast was good with a reasonable selection of hot foods , the evening snacks were more of a sandwich/finger food. The JW Marriott had a huge range of western/asian food which you could make a meal quite easily. The JW marriott also had cookies, hershey kisses and gummy sweets during the day.
Pool: Adv JW marriott ( both are reasonable pools with the JW being slightly larger IMHO)
Fitness cetntre: Adv JW Marriott ( Both are good but the JW is a little larger)
Access to the MTR: Adv JW Marriott. The hotel lift takes you to the lower level of the Pacific Place Mall and straight into the passage way to Admiralty station. The Conrad lift takes you to the third floor and you need to take another lift or escalators to the mtr entrance level.
Check out : I asked for a 2pm check out at the Marriott and got it with no problem. at the Conrad I asked for a 4pm check out (given my mindnight flight back to London but was given 2pm ( the lounge receptionist was apologetic and said the hotel was full so if it was quieter I might have been given a later check out) but was able to come back to the lounge after sightseeing and before heading to the airport
Cost: Adv JW Marriott ( by around HK$600 per night)

Overall: The Conrad is a better hotel ( especially a high floor harbour view room) but you could be paying more for it. The JW Marriott executive lounge food offerings beats the Conrad by a considerable margin especially for breakfast and evening snacks.

Hope the comparison is of some use.

Regards

TBS
Thanks for this comparison TBS - I am trying to decide between the 2 hotels and this has helped me a bit!

Regards

aks120