FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Frustrated by the CPU sweeps -- UA should upgrade everyone at the gate
Old Sep 6, 2017, 6:31 am
laxmillenial

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by helvetic
I think it's the magnitude of the sweep upgrades that bothers me. I'd be okay with it if there were more seats left open; but it's rarely more than a couple.

On today's flight, for example, we were looking at 13 upgrades into the 20-person cabin a couple days in advance, leaving only 2 F seats open. That's not a lot of room for late-booking elites.
I think you'll find the pendulum swings the other way as well. As a 1K, flying LAX-ORD/IAD/EWR, I won't get upgraded until the T-24 sweep, and that's with 20/24 seats available or similar ratio (P9,PN9) in first class.

Do you see me up in arms that I didn't get upgraded at T-96 as my benefit states? Surely I can't be 20 or lower on the upgrade list for these flights (yes I know it's possible on some as a 1K).

I think most people here will go, if you want to fly up-front, buy it. You'll get opinions from everyone stating they should upgrade more, upgrade less, or even hold out 2 seats on EVERY flight for people who want to SDC / buy a last-minute business/first seat.