FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)
Old Sep 4, 2017, 7:00 pm
hhoope01
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by svasandani
I was not tracking my lifetime totals at the time this happened so not sure what it did to my lifetime balances but if I can book an award stay with a cert (even if it is from my own account) and cancel the stay and get back points it would be beneficial because it will bump up my lifetime totals as well remove the worry about expiration.
If that is what happened, that is NOT the normal way CC or promotional certs are handled. You got very lucky. Also, if Marriott were to audit your account (they do that periodically), you could lose all those points and find the certs added back to each of your accounts.

And one thing I really hate about how Marriott fixes what they see as "errors", they leave no "paper" trail. Your account will show the "fixed" amount as originally being added to your account and you'll never see a removal entry. They'll just be gone. If you don't keep track yourself, you'd never know they ever did anything.