FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)
Old Sep 4, 2017, 6:50 pm
svasandani

Originally Posted by hhoope01
Do you and/or your wife's account show any unused certs in your accounts? Also, you state both your accounts had "unused" certs. What type of unused certs did you have? Were they previously ordered award certs or were they from a credit card or other promotional activity?

Note that TP hotel award certs will return to your account as a cert unless you specifically ask the Marriott agent to convert it back to points. And as you noted, the return points will be significantly reduced as Marriott feels most of the TP value is from the airline awards portion of the TP award.
Both of the unused certs (1 each in mine and my wife's account) were from the CC Anniversary Cat 1-5 cert.

I was not tracking my lifetime totals at the time this happened so not sure what it did to my lifetime balances but if I can book an award stay with a cert (even if it is from my own account) and cancel the stay and get back points it would be beneficial because it will bump up my lifetime totals as well remove the worry about expiration.