FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)
Old Sep 4, 2017, 5:23 pm
svasandani

Originally Posted by alc
no, cert booking return as cert. the discussion above is about points booking and hence it return as points to the account that holding the reservation.

T&C info about the >50K transfer can be found at:

• go to Marriott web site
  • click the menu (3 lines) at the top left
  • Expand "Marriott Rewards" and select "Marriott Rewards Overview"
  • Scroll to bottom and under "How to Use Points", click the "Buy, Share or Donate Points" link
  • Under 3 diagrams (shopping cart, arrows, heart) click the "Terms and Conditions" link
  • Under the "Transferring Points from One Account to Another" section, read point #1 on when you can transfer > 50K
Thanks for the detailed explanation.

However, I recently experienced something for which I don't have an explanation.

I made a booking of 2 rooms for 2 nights in March at a hotel that was going up from Cat 5 to Cat 6. I used 50K points and 2 free night certs (one from my account and one from my wife's account. I don't exactly remember but I think there were 3 separate reservations. One for each cert usage and 3rd one for 2 nights at 50K. Since I made the booking around midnight on last day i noticed they deducted 60K points. I called customer service about the discrepancy and they gave me a courtesy credit of 10K points.

Unfortunately my plans changed due to a family emergency about 2 weeks before the stay so I had to call and cancel all 4 nights (2 rooms, 2 nights). About a week later I checked my accounts and my balance had gone up by 110K points. Not exactly sure how the credits were processed for nights and certs but everything went to my account. Also, at the time i was not looking into lifetime totals so I don't know what it did to my lifetime points balance.