FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Steak in Rome!?!
View Single Post
Old Sep 4, 2017, 1:07 pm
Perche

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
There was steak when I went - admittedly, January was the last time I passed through Rome. I'd heard someone say the butcher stall was going to change hands, so maybe it's gone away? It was Roberto Liberati in the past (who has great shop further out of the city center, but that is strictly a butcher shop/food market and they don't cook there), but the website now lists it as Savigni, the same folks who run the one in Florence.

The Romans I know eat steak, they just tend not to eat steak out, so it's a lot easier to get the name of a good butcher than it is to recommend a good restaurant for steak. I know that's entirely unhelpful to OP.
At Rome's Mercato Centrale there is a stall called Carne i Salumi, or meat and salami, but it's not a sit down steak place. There is also a stall called L'Hamburger di Chianina, roughly, Tuscan beef hamburger, but no steak. I love this market. I never go to Rome without stopping there, usually several times.

For the more adventurous keep in mind that a 5 minute walk away, just down the street from Mercato Centrale in this neighborhood called Esquilino, is the even larger Mercato Esquilino. It is a very authentic Roman city market. Even Roscioli has a booth there. It's a slightly more gritty market, but quintessentially Roman. No steak though.