Old Sep 3, 17, 4:04 am
trustno1

Location: Naas at the weekend and FRA during the working week
Programs: EI Aer Club Concierge , BAEC Silver, Tesco clubcard
I think no to your first question but in the past I have definitely done what you have suggested in your second question. But that was in Gild Circle times when I was Elite but haven't tried under Aer Club.

You used to be able to use GC points for an economy ticket (just paying the taxes) and then use the upgrade vouchers to upgrade. I brought my daughter to NY in April having booked while GC was in operation. I tried to do the same thing under AerClub recently and was told this was no longer possible; i.e, use Avios for an Econ ticket and then upgrade. EI tied themselves in knots trying to justify the changes but just embarrassed themselves in their excuses which changed when challenged. The introduction of the saver fares goes someway to negating this as if you bag a cheap fare and then use the upgrade voucher that wouldn't be too bad. I've asked EI if I can combine a saver fare with the upgrade vouchers and I am awaiting their response. I would be surprised if they don't allow it but under AerClub.......anything is possible.