FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - PRM [Passenger with Reduced Mobility] in an aisle seat [4U]
Old Aug 31, 2017, 1:36 pm
JDiver
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by mevaker
Sorry. This is my first post. Also forgive my typing error and the use of abbreviations.

PRM = Passenger with Reduced Mobility

The airline in question is Germanwings. I was a transit passenger from Lipzig in Germany via Cologne to Venice and on the Cologne to Venice section was allocated seat 3D but the crew wanted to relocated me to 9A stating that anyone that requires assistance is not allowed to sit in an aisle seat!

As I mentioned in my previous post, I argued that it was discriminatory and have since discovered that the supposed rule is not mentioned in their conditions of carriage. I stress that I am not disabled just a passenger with some restricted mobility that relates most specifically to walking long distance. This was clearly stated in the original booking too.

It is not in anyway similar to not allowing a blind person to drive. The only stipulations in the conditions of carriage for the particular airline match those in most other airlines, that people with disabilities that affect their mobility may not sit by the emergency exit or by the exit row.

I would add that I fly very frequently indeed, mostly with UK based airlines but also with other airlines and also airlines in China and other countries outside the UK and practically always sit in an aisle seat. I have had a few rare occasions when travelling (with one of the so-called cheap airlines) that I was told that their system would not allocate an aisle seat for a disabled passenger, but when I made the point that I was not disabled I was usually given the aisle. In this case the system did allocate the aisle seat and the staff tried to say that it was a mistake.

My question remains; who can I turn to for assistance with this case?
Ah, thank you for the clarification.

The issue then pertains under EU Regulation 1107/2006. It may also be affected by whether GermanWings has filed its own policy with the applicable authority and had it approved, which would then have the effect of making it a regulation for that airline.

If it is regulatory agency imposed or approved GermanWings policy for People with Reduced Mobility to be seated in window or other seats and others where they will not impede others' egress, it seems you were rightfully moved. If this was an arbitrary move from a cabin crew member, regardless of intent, you apparently were not.

The link provided by 84fiero includes a lot of pertinent information and links to the applicable EU enforcement bodies.