FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Who do I flirt with to get an upgraded seat?
Old Aug 30, 2017, 1:52 pm
pinniped
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I did have one occasion where we got an unusual upgrade, but it's been 20 years and almost certainly would never happen today.

I was flying with my mother from LGW to CLT on US. We were on separate PNRs, me on a paid Y seat with Gold status and her on an award with no status. We were both seated in the exit row because back then a Gold member could call a human agent and easily get a 2nd person on another PNR seated there.

So I drop her off at LGW to go return the rental car. Since she has 1 bag, I tell her to go ahead and check it if there's no line. Otherwise wait for me and we'll use the J line.

By the time I get back to the airport 20 minutes later, she's standing there...with an Envoy class BP!! Apparently she got to the counter agent and asked to confirm that I was sitting next to her. The agent said no, and my mom asked if she could have her seat changed to be next to mine.

It turns out I'd been given an operational upgrade. So the agent did a lovely thing and gave my mom one too. Truly a rarity...a no-status passenger getting an upgrade on a basic award ticket...but I don't think it involved any flirting.