FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Baggage allowance on mixed-class, mixed-airline itinerary
Old Aug 30, 2017, 10:36 am
albireo

Programs: BA ExClub Blue (ex Silver), Flying Blue Silver (ex Platinum), M&M forever base soldier
Baggage allowance on mixed-class, mixed-airline itinerary

Travelling on a CDG-SCL-YYC-CDG itinerary (single ticket on Delta Airlines stock issued by a TA) with first part of the trip (up to YYC) on DL, the rest on KL. I am a FB Ivory member. The first transatlantic segment was on a Z fare (business), the rest in economy or eco+. For all check-ins up to YYC, Delta offered a 2-baggage allowance. I just checked-in for the YYC(AMS)CDG portion and KL's allowance is only 1 checked-in piece, though they will happily accept 96cad online (120cad at the airport) to accept a second piece in the hold.

I know this in conformity to KL's published rules, but given that the ticket explicitly mentions "check-in allowance : two pieces" I wonder if I would have any leverage to negociate at the airport an exemption for the second piece of luggage. Or if I better have to swallow it now and pay the extra baggage fee online at the "reduced" 96cad rate.

PS : I do not know if this is related but surprisingly, I was recognized as a Silver FB member throughout the DL portion of my trip (and even got complimentary domestic upgrades), even though I will reach Silver status only after I have flown the very last segment (AMS-CDG).

Last edited by albireo; Aug 30, 2017 at 10:43 am