FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Possible Merger of SIA and MI?
View Single Post
Old Aug 29, 2017, 1:47 am
pokfur

Programs: SQ TPPS, BA Silver
Originally Posted by mihaid
Actually it would make a difference for some. If SilkAir brand is retired and SIA would start operating at least part of those routes (assuming not all routes would be transferred to Scoot), those flights would earn miles in other Star Alliance programs too.
Agree. The biggest plus point for those who aren't on the KF programme is that their Star Alliance benefits will now be recognized when flying MI.

Actually I would think it's a good thing. The SQ brand is so much stronger than the MI brand. Right now I find the MI uniform quite an eyesore! Cost-wise, they can still manage the flight/cabin crew separately from mainline SQ with different remuneration packages. I.e. internally there're still two distinct pools of 'Silkair crew' and 'SQ Crew' that do not interchange, a little bit like how BA has the worldwide, mixed, and euro fleet, all enjoying different remuneration and benefits, that do not interchange and only fly together within that pool of crew in the same 'fleet'. However to the customer, they would all appear simply as SQ cabin crew, which is definitely not a bad thing.

Imagine a 737Max8 in SQ colours!