FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bethany Beach Ocean Suites Residence Inn, DE [Master Thread]
Old Aug 28, 2017, 7:08 pm
LPCJr

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by Jon Maiman
LCPjr, thank you! I have a five night July 4th week stay reserved on points for next summer. The two queen bed studio suite format will work well for us (next best thing to a timeshare property where we can get 1 or 2 bedroom units with full kitchens).

A couple of more questions:

1) What is the surf like? I want to teach my preteen soon to be teen daughter to body surf. We have been to Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head, and Duck many times. Of those three Myrtle was the best for reliable surf without it being too strong. I would expect Bethany Beach to be similar to Myrtle but am not sure having never been there.

2) How was the Ocean water temperature and did you have jelly fish (I know that varies a lot from year to year at all beaches, just trying to get a general idea)?

3) How is traffic getting in and out of the Bethany Beach area on weekends? We will be coming in from Western PA?

While we have liked Myrtle and Hilton Head a lot, looking for something new that is a little closer to us. We also stayed at a VA Beach SHS once and didn't like it. Hotel was very beat even though it had been very recently remodeled and we didn't like the vibe of the VA Beach area. The Boardwalk was nice and the beach was nice enough but too crowded. The lack of decent restaurants was an issue. Anyway, I digress...

Thanks Again,

Jon
Surf is generally calm. You won't see many surfers. You will see some people riding boogie boards, but generally they don't get huge waves and there the ocean is relatively calm.

In early August, water temp was low 70s. We were there 5 days this year, never saw any jellyfish.

Traffic on weekends can be difficult through the Rehoboth Beach area. The signage suggests those going to points south of Rehoboth use a route that is longer mileage wise but stays inland and then goes due east to the beaches. Haven't tried this...we went down on a Sunday and traffic was moderate.

The vibe is good. It's not a party town, but it's not dry either...a nice balance. You can get a nice dinner and have a couple drinks if you want, but there aren't any raucous bars. Party scene is in Dewey, next town to the north.