FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tips for Wheelchair Passengers
View Single Post
Old May 30, 2004, 5:33 pm
helpu2fly

Tips for Wheelchair Passengers

I am a flight attendant based in Atlanta. I'd like to share a few tips that may make your travels a little easier.

1. When you make reservations, tell them you need a wheelchair. Also, tell the gate agent. If you do not let them know and you get off the aircraft at the end of your trip, don't just 'take' one of the wheelchairs on the jetway. The Captain calls ahead for the number of wheelchairs requested on the flight and they are there for that person(s). It's like renting a car, if you didn't ask for it, it's for someone else.

2. When you get to the gate or ticket counter at the airport and you tell them you need a wheelchair, it is assumed that you are able to walk from the aircraft door to your seat. Remember, the wheelchair will not fit down the aircraft aisle. If you are not able to walk to you seat, tell them you need an aisle chair. This is a special chair made to fit down the aisle. It also requires additional personnel, so advise as soon as possible.

3. People with special needs and business class travelers are boarded first, so get there extra early. It makes it much easier to get to your seat if you don't have to climb over other passengers.

4. There are a limited number of wheelchairs at the airport. It is a long way from D concourse to the baggage claim so you may have to wait. Make sure you tell the flight attendants/gate agents if you have a connecting flight or going to baggage claim. Different contractors may be handling Atl or connections.

5. Because wheelchairs are limited, assess your needs. This is not meant to be critical in any way, but ask yourself if you are able to walk to the end of the jetway and wait for the wheelchair at that point. Could you use the electric cart instead of the wheelchair. This will save you time and free up others who must use a wheelchair. I recently had a passenger in her early 30's who wanted a wheelchair because her baby was heavy and she didn't want to walk to the next concourse. Get REAL!

Realize we're all doing the best we can. It's in everyone's best interest to get you off the airplane and on your way as soon as possible.