FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - From NJ to Maine
View Single Post
Old Aug 25, 2017, 7:51 am
PWMTrav

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I would definitely do Eventide, although you're going to likely end up waiting. As for Street & Co., their lobster diavolo is amazing (but you really need at least 3 people to tackle one order), but everything else was okay, if not mind-blowing. My general opinion of food in PWM is that the lobster rolls are fantastic, but everything else is otherwise not quite at the same level that I could get in NYC.
I won't debate NYC versus Portland, but we're talking about a city of 65k people. If we're even having a conversation comparing the two, I think we're doing very well! One thing I'd say in Portland's favor is there's less noise. Competition is ridiculous up here, as are rents for commercial kitchens, so there are very few bad restaurants - the ones that continue to exist likely own their land. It's very hard to get a bad meal. I do think places like Eventide and Central Provisions will give anyone, anywhere, a run in their categories.

I've said this a lot offline, but NYC, SF, DC, Chicago (probably in that order) are going to be the best food cities in the country. But right after that, Portland (ME), Portland (OR), Philly, LA are probably in the next tier - in no particular order. It's subjective, but that's my take.

All that said, Eventide is the best oyster bar on the east coast right now, and I think if you extend the area a bit to Maine in general, it's pretty hard to find better beer.