FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Q - booking cruise for Alaska
View Single Post
Old Aug 24, 2017, 11:30 am
A1pax

Thank you, Gardyloo, for suggesting the one-week itinerary land tour around Alaska (after the one-week cruise from Vancouver to Seward) - much appreciated.

I have read some trip reports on Alaska and most were done by car. We had a bad experience with Hertz in Australia a couple of months ago and it put me off for using it again. The car rental industry needs reform!

Hubby prefers train travel. But, I will show your suggested itin to hubby and convince him that a driving holiday gives us flexibility in reaching places. We have car insurance cover from the UK Amex Plat card.

Hubby has mapped out an itin based on train travel as below. I have been busy reading reviews on trains, hotels and tours.

Day 1 - arrival by cruise ship in Seward (ship docked 4:30am). Hubby wanted to stay in Seward overnight to find our feet on land again! - to check out the town and sealife centre.

Day 2 - take the Kenai Fjords cruise (agree with you on this). In the evening take the Coastal Classic train from Seward to Anchorage. Overnight in Anchorage.

Day 3 - take the Denali Star train from Anchorage to Fairbanks. Overnight in Fairbanks.

Day 4 - take the Artic Circle drive tour (over 13 hours). Crazy I know. Read reviews and some loved it, others said it was not worth the time and money! Overnight in Fairbanks.

Day 5 - take the Denali Star train from Fairbanks to Denali. Take the half day bus tour of Denali. Overnight in Denali.

Day 6 - take a different bus tour (all day) deep into Denali. Overnight in Denali.

Day 7 - take the McKinley Explorer train from Denali to Anchorage. Overnight in Anchorage.

Day 8 - take the Glacier Discovery train from Anchorage to Whittier - do the William Sound glacier? and stop along Girdwood, Portage? Overnight in Anchorage.

Day 9 - fly Anchorage to Seattle then to LAS and LHR.

One of the problems with train travel is how to get from the train stations to the accommodation places? I did read reviews of a nice B&B in Denali, but they don't recommend staying there without a car!

What do you think of hubby's train itin?

Thanks again, for the pointers in your suggested itin.