FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bagging row 5 in First (747) - issue selecting seats... & 747 age question
Old Aug 23, 2017, 9:17 am
747_not_777

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by madfish
Having just flown if F with an infant on a 747 I can confirm that seat 5F is the bassinet seat. This is in fact a shelf that fits across the front of the seat (above the food stool) on which a chair is placed. Does seem to offer slightly less room than the same version on the 777. The chair is a bit like a baby rocker seat that you are more likely to use with young babies. Crew are fairly unfamiliar with this. One claimed he'd never used it in 20 years.
Agree, it's 5F, and they definitely don't know how to use it. Returning from Denver last August the MF crew claimed there wasn't one in the F cabin. I assured them there was, showed them the mounting points, but they refused to install it as they hadn't been trained. And despite the fact we'd chosen that seat on purpose. Instead they gave my then 10-month old 5K all to herself... A blessing in disguise, as my wife couldn't sleep for fear she'd roll off the seat and hurt herself (the baby, not my wife!)...

However, I don't think the bassinet location is anything to do with not being able to select 5A/E for one travelling couple on the same booking. No one can explain that system 'glitch' yet...? I genuinely think BA is protecting the centre seats for couples/pairs on the same booking?

Originally Posted by madfish
I would also suggest not having all 4 of you in a straight line as more difficult to move around. If you take 4 in a square on one side you will have easier access to everybody in your party. Most useful if onebin your party is snoozing. Also means you are all. Ring served by same member of cabin crew so more consistent and you really are their priority as you represent 4/7 of their passengers.
Interesting - had not considered that option. All I know is I want to be towards the rear of the cabin... Our first trip with my son when he was 1 proved a real pain as we were in 1A/K and it meant whenever we were dealing with him (crying or tantrum), we had the whole cabin watching. Much preferred row 5 last year, as when my 10-month old set off, I was one step away from the galley to minimise disruption for everyone else.

But hey, what am I saying, it will be sooooo much easier when they are 4 and 2, won't it?!?!