FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Q - booking cruise for Alaska
View Single Post
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:08 am
Gardyloo
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by A1pax
We have read that it is best to book the cruise through a travel agent (instead of booking through the cruise line) as there may be extras / discounts. We have spoken to a TA and he said he would only provide these if we took packages, and not just cruise only prices.

I have seen adverts from many online TAs - the UK ones quoted in £. I also know that airlines such as AA and AS have cruises advertised and we can earn miles if booked through them (non-US residents have to call to enquire about prices).

My question is: Has anyone booked cruises through AA or AS affiliated agents? Good or bad experience? The points are around 1 per $1 spend. We are talking about £6K for 2 pax (cabin with balcony) for 7 days cruise. Cruises can also be booked with Costco in the US - but not in the UK. Am also thinking of calling the Amex Plat travel to see if their prices are competitive.

Another question: When booking a cruise, do you select the cabin number before or after the booking? (like select airline seats?)
I haven't booked cruises from the UK but I'm under the impression that pricing is different than what the same itinerary would cost if one's a resident of North America. I guess I'd do some online research - see the price if booking directly through the cruise line, see prices using UK TAs, and go to some big site like www.cruise.com and where it asks about where home is, say you're from some US state just as a test.

The TA that said the discounts/extras were only available if you buy a package is blowing smoke. Not true.

Most online booking services/TAs will let you pick a cabin before paying. Sometimes you can get away cheaper by booking a "guaranteed" room in a given class; e.g. a balcony cabin where you won't know the precise location until you arrive at the port. Often these bookings get upgraded to a higher cabin class, but there's no knowing. The cruise lines use very similar revenue/yield management practices that airlines employ.

The key to Vancouver-Alaska one way cruises (and v.v.) is the ports and route. I think HAL visits Glacier Bay, which is a plus. Other lines might call at Hubbard Glacier, which is spectacular but which in mid-June might be relatively inaccessible depending on ice conditions in Yakutat Bay. So I think the Noordam is a safe choice.