FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!
Old Aug 18, 2017, 9:14 pm
Flying for Fun

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by merridius
this might seem like a dumb question, but my googling doesn't give me a definitive answer. if i fly a codeshare, do i earn miles based on the marketing carrier or the operating carrier?

specifically im looking at a flight marketed by JAL by operated by AA. the AS website seems to suggest that i'll earn based on the marketing carrier since it states:
Eligible flight numbers

0001–8999

on the JAL partner page, but I just wanted to make sure

Technically, according to the Terms and Conditions, Codeshare Flights are not eligible for mileage accumulation. It does say that eligibility is for Flights Marketed AND Operated by the same Carrier. However, in practice, since both AA & JL are AS Partners, Alaska will credit based on the Operating Carrier. They will NOT automatically post to your account. You will have to email your boarding pass(es) to Alaska and request a manual credit. I have called Alaska on this point before and was specifically told it is the Operating Carrier that they will credit mileage on.

As a side note, specific to Emirates Airlines (EK) the terms and conditions additionally say that eligibility requires the flight(s) to be on the Ticket Stock of Emirates yet I have read some posters were successful in geting credit for Qantas Marketed and Emirate Operated flights.

A quick call to Alaska with your specifics may put your mind to rest. 🤔

Cheers