FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Any experience with Airbnb?
View Single Post
Old Aug 17, 2017, 2:53 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
So, I haven't read the entire 40 pages of messages in this thread, but I guess I have to agree that the Airbnb review system is flawed. I'm currently staying in a place which appears to have only 5 star reviews and about 6 of them. My traveling partner's parents run an Airbnb in Boston and I assumed she knew what she was doing (esp since she has stayed other places with Airbnb). Among other issues with this place:

It sleeps six but AFAICT there are 1 and 1/2 pillows and only ONE key.
The place has not been cleaned in a while - the bathroom has soap scum all over, inside of refrigerator is soon to be a science experiment, the host left a dirty pot on the stove, etc. (The Airbnb suggestions for host say to clean the place before every stay)
Dishwasher is full of apparently dirty dishes when we arrived
Kitchen trash was full when we arrived
One electrical outlet per room (in a major European city?)
On a very noisy street
The building elevator has failed twice already in the 3 days we have been here so far; the first time two children were trapped in it; we waited around until another resident appeared to call the service number
Although the listing didn't say, sheets and towels were apparently included, maybe because my partner asked. However, as my partner told me at midnight we were supposed to change the sheets ourselves. And the towels look like something I threw out 30 years ago (after college when I bought matching towels)
Etc.

Based on this experience, I am unlikely to ever use Airbnb again and I would leave a negative review, but my partner would probably see it and that is another problem.

Last edited by stc; Mar 7, 2018 at 2:46 pm Reason: fixing spelling