FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Exclusive: SFO near miss might have triggered ‘greatest aviation disaster in history’
Old Aug 16, 2017, 5:38 pm
Mountain Explorer

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 24left
You and the Mercury News are free to blame the pilots, the ATC etc, but don't you think it might be worth waiting to hear from the NTSB and the TSB?
What we're doing is presenting opinions (based heavily on the facts available). With the hope that others will point out flaws in reasoning, or add new facts that we weren't aware of. Ultimately, we can get a better understanding of what happened and why. That's why I was frustrated yesterday when people were writing posts attacking the authors. That in no way advances the discussion and brings us no closer to the truth.

Of course I'm very interested in the NTSB report and, when it gets released, I will very likely drop whatever I'm doing that day and read it carefully. But that's likely a year away. Do you think there should be no discussion in the meantime?

The pprune post you reference makes a very similar complaint: "judged & convicted, case closed, throw away the key". I have absolutely no authority nor intention of convicting, closing cases, or throwing away keys. And I seriously doubt that the Mercury News does either, pretty sure it's just a newspaper. The complaint is silly, IMO.