FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Qatar Operated BA Flight Information - During MF Strike
Old Aug 16, 2017, 3:54 am
Dijonspurs

Programs: BA Silver
Reward Flight Saver Taxes on Qatar-Operated BA Strike Flights

Originally Posted by dpfs
I had the Al Maha A7-LAA today. Going LHR to ARN. While I can't compare it to the other Qatar planes on wet lease, I couldn't fault it in its own right.

Was an hour late taking off due to it arriving late from Kiev. I was sitting in 3D, the last row of business.

The seat was wide and the legroom plentiful. The food was, I think, Qatar fare. The starter was a large prawn on a bed of sliced melon. Cheese and biscuits and the chocolate dessert were served with the starter.

The main course was a choice of fish or chicken. I had fish, which was with a green pea mash and grilled vegetables. Very tasty.

The beverage choices were juice, small cans (coke etc), beer, red, white, champagne. No G&T was offered and I didn't ask so I assume that drinks was a Qatar array as well. I didn't see what was offered in economy beyond the cans.

Slightly oddly, the condiments, glasses, cutlery, serviettes and even lavatory tissues were BA branded.

The cabin crew were very efficient and keen to top up glasses. However I think they did become distracted by requests for top ups as the plentiful basket of bread rolls were only offered to the front row and never made it back any further.

All in all a very nice and interesting flight. Not bad for a reward saver redemption!
I'm in Kiev right now having booked a last minute Y reward seat from LHR-KBP yesterday. Qatar metal. And i'm very interested to know what you paid in taxes!

The taxes for my flight were not the usual £17.50 RFS fees. They were more in the order of £50. As I was booking so close to the flight, I didn't have time to dispute it and brought it up with BA once I got here.

BA were adamant that the Qatar operated flights were 'as good as' BA flights and that the reason for the higher tax amount was because 'some European flights have RFS availability and others have normal Avios availability. If you book into the latter, a higher tax is charged.' Nothing to do, apparently, with it being Qatar operated.

That sounds like nonsense to me as I've never seen a second set of redemption inventory on European flights and having done a few other dummy bookings for tomorrow on routes operated by Qatar, it seems clear that the Qatar operated flights (Berlin being one, for example) are the only ones not qualifying for the RFS tax cap.

Does anyone know if this a known IT glitch or is it simply that these flights don't qualify for RFS?