FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United MP Club Card Free Bags, 1 Award ticket, 1 Paid ticket?
Old Aug 13, 2017, 5:02 pm
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hman414
Because I am a novice can you please explain exactly how I can do this?

My wife and I are flying from ORD to MIA (direct, round trip).

I want to buy my ticket (to get EQM) and pay for my wife's ticket with my accumulated miles.

I am paying for everything with the Club card and I want to get the 2+2 free bags.

Thanks!
Actually, it seems like a perfectly reasonable request to me to want to combine a paid and an award ticket on the same reservation. This comes up regularly, in fact. It's not possible to do it, unfortunately, but I don't think it's a crazy suggestion.

One of the suggestions was to purchase ORD-MIA with cash (for both of you) and MIA-ORD with miles (again, for both of you). While you'll only get half of the PQMs that you wanted, you'll get the bag waiver that you wanted.

Incidentally, why are you looking to collect PQMs? Besides access to Economy Plus, there aren't a whole lot of benefits to Silver status beyond what you already get with the United Club card.

Another option is to buy your wife a first class award ticket, which will get her two checked bags at 70 pounds each. Unfortunately, it can be very difficult to find saver first class awards. (If you also buy up to first class for your own paid ticket, you'd get (at least) twice as many PQMs).

Hope this helps. :-)