FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Gibraltar & Schengen immigration
View Single Post
Old Aug 12, 2017, 6:02 am
David-A

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by fleuve
Hi everyone!

I am going to Gibraltar and southern Spain very soon and have some questions concerning the border control of Gibraltar as a traveller with a non-European passport.

(1)
I will fly from Hong Kong(HKG) to London(LHR), and then take my connecting flight to Gibraltar. Both by BA. Is it required for me to pass through UK border for the transfer or will it be considered as an int'l-int'l connection?
INT-INT.

You will NOT pass through the UK border (unless you want to).

(3)

Will I get the entry stamp of Gibraltar, if I request, on my passport when entering Gibraltar by air?
You are entering Gibraltar, end of.

If they elect they need to stamp it they will do so for immigration purposes, regardless. And the inspections by air are generally more through than on land.

If however they elect they don't need to stamp your passport (I don't know what passport you have), then - given it is a non-EU passport, your chances of still getting a stamp if you ask are very good.

(4)

I was told that on both side of the Spain-Gibraltar border, the officers will not stamp the passports.
Not true. Plenty of people get their passports stamped every day.

You need to remember the bulk of the people crossing from both sides are EU citizens, so they will not be stamped. Many will be using their ID cards so not even carrying a passport.

Also: Gibraltar does not, as a matter of routine (i.e. under normal circumstances) conduct exit controls (but retains the right to do so, and does occasionally) - so there will not normally be an immigration officer on Gibraltar side when departing Gibraltar.

Gibraltar does however conduct entry controls.

Spain conducts both entry and exit controls - as she is required under Schengen obligations (and at times a bit 'above and beyond' what she is required).

As I said, plenty of people get their passports stamped crossing the border every day - although many other people crossing don't notice it, and assume nobody is getting stamped.

Sometimes (despite officially exiting Schengen) day trip visitors to Gibraltar might not be stamped out, and similarly immigration officers in Gibraltar can sometimes adopt a risk assessment based approach - and not stamp people if they are confident they are genuine tourists and will be leaving shortly.

HOWEVER you can certainly get stamped if entitled and you ask.

And passports will be checked - so, given you will not have a Schengen entry stamp already, I'd certainly expect to get one crossing into Spain. (but if not just ask it will be forthcoming).

Since I will exit the Schengen area by flying out from MAD airport, how should I request the officers at the border to stamp my passport?(Schengen entry stamp) Otherwise, I will encounter some difficulties when exiting the Schengen area I supposed.
I'm certain you will get one without asking crossing into Spain, especially since you don't have a prior entry.

And the level of formality compliance has risen recently.

But either way, just ask and you will get one.

(5)

Does anyone know if the bus from La linea de conception to Sevilla is a year-round service? I tried to book it online but failed to buy one.
Yes it is.

There are very short advance booking windows for some buses in Spain, some routes are only bookable less than 2 weeks in advance. Not sure about that route.