FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "The Points Guy" takes the mickey out of United & Polaris
Old Aug 10, 2017, 1:21 pm
danielSuper

Programs: UA 1k, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
I've had some bad UA experiences in J and even F.

But a lie flat seat being worse than Y on another carrier? That's some serious clickbait.

There's no way you pick LH Y over UA J next time, all else being equal.
From the article:
This was by far the worst business-class flight I’ve experienced. I can easily think of a few economy products that I would’ve rather flown instead: Japan Airlines, Cathay Pacific and Lufthansa come easily to mind. While the easy rebuttal is that United’s business-class seats are lie-flat, my broken leg rest and the crew’s hesitance to allow me to change seats eliminated that advantage. Plus. I’d rather have the economy meals from any of those three airlines than the ones I was served on this flight. The in-flight entertainment systems and power plugs worked well and the service was much more personal and responsive on each of those airlines in economy than on this flight in United’s business class
He is comparing that particular business class flight, not the hard products with "all else being equal" and "5 years in the future when all Polaris are rolled out". We can read such PR in Hemispheres magazine, that's not why people read blogs.

And I can totally see where is he coming from. I just landed with UA 160 from Munich. I had to escalate 3 times for my kid to be given meal - he is two with a fully paid seat. Flight attendants were impersonal, doing rolleyes and I had to grab the food from the cart, since they can't be bothered to lean in. Food was way below average.
If you have a Stockholm syndrome from flying legacy US airlines, I feel sorry for you, but I can totally see going out of my way to fly Y in LH next time.