FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [ARCHIVE 2014 to 2017] Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}
Old Aug 7, 2017, 9:42 am
Land-of-Miles
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
There's also the size of the resort and F&B options to consider. The PH is a much smaller resort and some folks prefer that. On the other hand there are only 2 restaurants to dine at. If you're planning on, say, a 5-night stay, then at the PH you will pretty much have to dine in two locations twice each for dinner (and the 5th night you'd have to do one of those restaurants again, IVD(in-villa dining) or a private beach dinner which will cost an arm and a leg like it does at practically every resort).....first world problem for foodies, I know but it's relevant when you're comparing it to Rangali, at which you will still not have the opportunity to dine at every outlet even if you stay twice as long as your current amount of points will get you. And I agree totally with alanslegal when he says that using them in high season is one of the best deals you will ever get, anywhere. If food and dining choices (not only the size of, and what's on the menus, but choice of location and ambience too) are going to be an important part of your trip, and you feel the F&B options at the PH will keep your interest over the 5 nights, I suggest getting hold of copies of the menus of The Dining Room and The Island Grill, IVD (if that's your cup of tea) and the beach dinners and see whether the menu items and choices will be enough for you.
The villas are very much the weak point of Rangali and this makes Rangali a different proposition to other resorts where you might spend quite a lot of time in your villa. This was very much rammed home to me during our recent stay at Vommuli.

I think that Rangali is the smart play for someone wanting to spend little time in their villa and enjoy the facilities (including the extensive F&B options), which will be my approach the next time we visit Rangali. This also probably means for those who don't consider anything novel about a water villa you are better off sticking with a beach villa and using the savings on enjoying the rest of the resort.

For those who want to minimise the cash cost of their redemption stay those F&B choices are more hypothetical than actual. You will be looking at a similar set of effective options to that you might find in the PH or other smaller resorts.

So the right question is what is the OP's priority, experience (with fairly chunky accompanying spend) which leans him towards Rangali or spend control in which case the PH may well be the much better option.