FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Single parent with an infant -how do I get everything on the plane?
Old Aug 5, 2017, 4:58 pm
Eclipsepearl

Programs: United Plus
Originally Posted by Redhead
I'm a single mom and travel with my daughter all the time. I used a City Mini stroller in the airport. On this I hooked the Diaper Dude diaper bag. I put the car seat in a backback, and pulled a carry on roller bag. To get on the plane, I put the stroller in a bag, the baby in a bjorn/sling (depending on her age), and then asked to board early so I didn't bang people. Most airlines were cool about it. I popped the huge stroller bag on top of the rollerboard, dragged it down the jetway to gate check the stroller, then boarded with the giant backpack.

If I couldn't board early, i just tried to be extra careful with the carseat backpack. Fellow passengers were generally pretty cool
Actually, it'll be even easier checking the rollerboard AND the stroller at the counter. I would also lose the car seat bag and put the car seat on a folding luggage cart. An older baby can ride in this instead of dragging the stroller.

I'm sure it works with just one child but once you have more, it can be difficult doing it this way.

Also, don't use a Bjorn. They put the baby in a bad position. A ring sling is definitely smarter for ALL ages.

So basically the baby can switch between the sling, car seat (acting as a stroller) and later walking.

Also, instead of an awkward backpack, if your car seat won't roll down the aisle, hold it upside down in a L position, over your arm. This is the best non-bumping position to get it to your seat. You can also do this with a baby in a sling.

A note... the Flight Attendants can't leave the doors on the ground (security issue). If they're not available to help you to your seat and it really is too much, ask them if you can leave something right next to the door and they can keep an eye on it. Drop off something not valuable like the diaper bag. The one time I did it, another passenger saw me and took it to me. Too nice!