FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ba/aa/ib was-ath ~$2150 j
View Single Post
Old Aug 4, 2017, 9:24 am
kirker

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, ex-AA EXP, ex-UA 1K
Originally Posted by mtkeller
There's a $300 cut on this fare in effect at the moment, taking it down to $1768 on a simple IAD-LHR-ATH and back in J. With $200 off via AARP, that was too good for me to pass up. Also decided (somewhat by accident, as I was waiting to be quoted a cash copay I was unwilling to make, and then suddenly instead of getting a payment screen as the process indicated would come next, I got a confirmation screen) to upgrade from J to F on the 744 on the way back. I've done the upper deck on MH, DL, and LH, but never been in the nose, so seems like a reasonable option for 18,000 Avios that I rarely seem to spend in other ways.
Damn, I'm jealous! I bought a ticket at the original fare after this thread was posted, and even with the AARP discount my ticket was $1,876. Btw my last flight on BA (not the one to ATH - I'm doing that trip in two weeks) happened to be on a 744 in F, and I'd say it's definitely worth the Avios upgrade (particularly if, like me, you strongly dislike the dual front- and rear-facing J seating arrangement BA now has on nearly all of its TATL flights, regardless of metal).

Also, you should definitely check out the Concorde Room for as long as possible. It may not literally be the best in the world, but it's an order of magnitude better than any J lounge I've seen to date!