FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ: List of valid and booked mini-RTW itineraries version 2.0 (post-"enhancement")
Old Aug 4, 2017, 8:44 am
Commie

Originally Posted by drvannostren
I'm not sure what you have currently but...

I had a very similar situation recently and it's a tough choice. If you're only gonna save $200 then burn it immediately, right there I probably wouldn't do it.

SYD-PEK is 11:00 according to flighttimecalculator. You're paying the full freight for J, for a flight that long, I'm not taking Y. Any chance you can find SYD-BKK-PEK or something in J?

I got myself on OZ 380 J. I thought it more important to get 380 than 350. Seems to me the 350s will be well represented going forward, whereas the 380s will be dying out. I don't fly EK (though I'd like to try them at some point) and Star Alliance doesn't have many 380s when you remove LH due to the YQ and SQ not giving out long haul J/F space. So I took it now with OZ ICN-LAX.

Up to you ultimately, but it seems like what you have now might be better.
I am currently on:
Yyz-syd ac j (stop 3 weeks)
Syd -icn Asiana j (stop 2 days)
Icn-hkg Thai J ( stop 5 days)
Hkg-Yvr ac j
Yvr-yyz ac j

and have the chance to switch to:
YYZ-SYD AC J (Stop)
SYD-PEK CA Y
PEK-HKG CA J (Stop)
HKG-ICN Asiana J (Stop)
ICN-YYZ AC J

The problem is I am trying to book this for travel for outbound the 2nd week of December, and return the 2nd week of January of 2018. So during the prime Xmas/NY holidays. The outbound direct from YYZ-SYD was no issue was able to get plenty of AC J options. The return was tough, only way with J was through ICN or HKG.
Thinking further, I think I'll stick with what I have...No sense in giving up a J flight for a Y that is over 10 hours in duration.