FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - T Mobile Global data coverage
View Single Post
Old Aug 2, 2017, 9:10 am
Michael Ad

Originally Posted by estnet
Thailand is a big problem with tmo - landed at the airport and could not get a connection no matter which carrier I chose (so couldn't use grab.... grrr) Also on my return connection at airport was problematic - strange since their partners are selling local SIMS there which seem to work well- my guess is that tmo roaming doesn't get the best connection/service.
Stayed a month in central Bangkok and had HIGHLY variable service even in the same location with choosing the same carrier. Often had to change carrier to get a decent speed to use google maps (one worked one day another the next in the same location). Since I was there a month in a condo had a lot of opportunity to try same locations (btw tmo tech support was no help and promised call backs never happened )
Where you can (and I'm pretty sure you can in Thailand) you should really cache a Google Map of your area. I consider a local offline Google Map to be critical, and then you don't need cell service unless you're trying to search it or get directions, and even then, it'll use much less data.

Still drives me nuts that you can't cache a map in Japan with Google, but you can with other providers.