FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - can't assign seats OGG-SFO in J - aircraft swap?
Old Jul 31, 2017, 1:57 pm
transportprof

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bpratt
I just used miles to get standard award tickets in J SFO-OGG-SFO in the next couple of weeks, and curiously can't assign seats for the return flight.

Traveling as a couple on the daily 777 between SFO and OGG. I don't think United oversells the J cabin, at least I hope not, so I'm assuming the seat assignment issue is most likely due to a possible aircraft swap.

First off, am I missing some other obvious reason I can't select seats (overbooking in J, United's web site doesn't like me, etc)? And assuming it's an aircraft swap, how safe are my J seats? the seat map on United.com shows the 777-200 HD seating, with 28 Polaris J seats, just none selectable. Since every other widebody United flies has at least 28 J / F seats also, it seems like there is no meaningful risk of being booted to coach. That's unless they swap the 777 for a narrow body, which would presumable be a much bigger problem, as they'd have 100+ people with no seat at all.

Anyway, I just found this puzzling and thought I'd see if anyone else could see what I'm missing.

thanks,
Bob
I had a similar situation earlier this year, and sadly, the 777 was downguaged to a 739. There are only 100+ people with no seat if the flight is already booked full, and if it was they probably wouldn't have given you the award tickets at this time.

Hope I'm wrong, but you may be sitting in the standard 737 front cabin once the equipment swap is run through SHARES.