FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Any experience with Airbnb?
View Single Post
Old Jul 31, 2017, 10:47 am
heraclitus

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
I think the bloom is coming off the rose for me with respect to Airbnb... I'm sure I will use it for the next few years while my kids are young and there is great value in being able to have an apartment with separate bedrooms vs. a regular hotel room or a typically much more expensive hotel suite. But that said, there is a PITA factor that starts to wear you down with Airbnb.

In my first booking in Houston I had a situation where the previous guest overstayed which delayed my entry by several hours (not fun when you have a baby ready for a nap), and when I finally got in the place was still messy from the previous guest. I realize it wasn't the host's fault, but it still made my life more difficult.

I decided to try it again and booked a place several months out for a trip in September. Then the host comes back to me wanting to cancel for one reason or another. OK, fair enough. But she wants ME to cancel, losing a credit that I had and relying on her goodwill to refund the money. Apparently she was at risk of having her listing removed from one more cancellation. Obviously I wasn't going to go for it, but it was annoying to be put in that awkward position in the first place. And then of course so many of the best Airbnb options for my trip were gone.

I think I'll grin and bear it until the kids are old enough to stay up late such that a separate bedroom doesn't matter anymore, but once that happens I think I will be done with Airbnb.