FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA, USA to China OJ from $303 ai
View Single Post
Old Jul 30, 2017, 12:56 pm
Tblack15

Programs: UA Silver / FA
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
I just called the 1K line and got what I considered to be a great agent. She had to chat with the 'schedule change department' but also came back with a pretty canned response along the lines of:
"When United pulls out of a market, we determine which options are available for rerouting, and since HGH is no longer a city we serve, we're only offering rebooking options out of PVG, which is 188 miles from HGH... or I can offer you a full refund so you can rebook on another carrier out of HGH."
Further, when I tried to get creative and do PVG-GUM-HNL-SFO, all on UA, she was unable to price it as a valid routing, leaving me with only PVG-SFO direct. I was surprised they wouldn't book HGH-ICN/TPE/NRT/PEK-SFO, and I'm not sure if it has to do with the low fare on the ticket, but it's discouraging if this is the future for planned schedule changes.
Does everyone understand that this is a OJ self-dump and calling the airline to move things around should be avoided at all costs?

If one looks at HKG, PVG or PEK RT, it's $560 at the lowest (for me), but somehow when you include a KA or CX segment in the middle, then OJ it to Canada, it's $282.. Yes, it's a trick. Yes, it's published. Book it while it lasts and avoid calling UA and showing a human your itinerary.