FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA, USA to China OJ from $303 ai
View Single Post
Old Jul 30, 2017, 11:45 am
pushmyredbutton

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by riphamilton
this is the same response that i got. in an odd call, i had the agent rebook my return as HKG-HND/NRT-ORD-YUL. no problem. he then went to get the ticket reissued, and then came back with what was clearly a form response: UA will no longer be serving HGH, and the only free rebooking permitted is to return to the states via PVG, after we fly our existing HKG-HGH legs.

i'll obviously HUCA, but the similarities between our calls do concern me.
I just called the 1K line and got what I considered to be a great agent. She had to chat with the 'schedule change department' but also came back with a pretty canned response along the lines of:
"When United pulls out of a market, we determine which options are available for rerouting, and since HGH is no longer a city we serve, we're only offering rebooking options out of PVG, which is 188 miles from HGH... or I can offer you a full refund so you can rebook on another carrier out of HGH."
Further, when I tried to get creative and do PVG-GUM-HNL-SFO, all on UA, she was unable to price it as a valid routing, leaving me with only PVG-SFO direct. I was surprised they wouldn't book HGH-ICN/TPE/NRT/PEK-SFO, and I'm not sure if it has to do with the low fare on the ticket, but it's discouraging if this is the future for planned schedule changes.