FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why do luggage manufacturers keep making the same mistakes?
Old Jul 30, 2017, 5:25 am
Skywalker505

Originally Posted by boltjames
Who cares what a rolling carryon weighs? The wheels make the point moot. A 2 or 3 pound difference means nothing. And for those who eschew wheels for the sake of weight, wow, what a waste.

Exactly. I calculate I've taken 500 flights in my life in dozens of countries on scores of airlines and I have never, not once, been challenged or had my rolling carry-on weighed by an airline carrier. Hundreds of friends and work colleagues, same thing, weight has never been an issue, ever.

It's like Ryanair needs a separate forum so it's passengers can stop posting misleading information for the millions of other passengers on hundreds of other airlines that simply do not weigh luggage. Enough already. We don't fly Ryanair so it does not apply to us.
Well, I don't fly Ryanair either, but if you fly internationally you must have noticed that the carriers are becoming much more restrictive as to what is acceptable as a carry-on. As a matter of fact, a few years ago there was discussion among several European airlines about standardizing carry-on size at 19" x 12" x 6.5". That is what prompted Red Oxx to develop the Mini Boss, which is precisely that size (and has been a huge seller). I suppose you will gripe that it is not a spinner with a telescoping handle.

I stopped checking baggage years ago and then ditched the carry-on bags with wheels. I can travel for weeks with a 3lb-4lb bag or pack and, if I really want to go all out, I may also carry a personal item on board. As I said, my idea of a "perfect" bag (as that B&R bag was described) is not a rigid one with wheels and a handle that weighs in excess of 9lbs empty.

I am really looking forward to flying with the new Goruck GR3 at the end of the year, when it is released. It is a 45L backpack that is built like a tank and weighs 4lbs. I also enjoy flying with the 45L Tom Bihn Aeronaut, which weighs 3lbs or, on shorter trips, the 30L Aeronaut, which weighs about 2.5lbs. That's my idea of "perfect". If you want to argue the point further, knock your self out.